UBC Health Council
The mandate of the UBC Health Council is to identify strategic directions for UBC Health and advise on initiatives and policies relevant and common to the health and human service programs at UBC.
Composition and Organization
Please note this section is currently being revised.
- The Associate Vice-President, Health will chair the Council.
- The Council will be supported by the Office of UBC Health.
- Meetings will be scheduled every six weeks, or at the discretion of the Chair, from September through to June.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
- Membership will consist of:
- One senior leader representing each of the health and human service programs at UBC (Audiology and Speech Sciences, Counselling Psychology, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Dietetics, Genetic Counselling, Kinesiology, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Population and Public Health, Social Work);
- a representative from the Woodward Library;
- two patient/community representatives; and
- two student representatives.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To identify key issues affecting health professional education and health research.
- To recommend strategic actions that would enable and strengthen a holistic approach to health on both campuses in order to achieve integration across UBC and with other partners in BC.
- To review policies and procedures related to UBC Health.
- To act as a communication link between health units, the broader health system and the UBC Health Executive on academic issues related to Health.
- To assist in the promotion and positioning of interprofessional learning and research activities related to the health and human service programs.
- To ensure that the patient’s voice and community engagement activities are effectively embedded in the integrated approach to health education.
- To enable relevant faculty development for classroom-based learning and practice education.
The UBC Health Council will report and be accountable to the UBC Health Executive.
- Christie Newton, Associate Vice-President, Health pro tem (Chair)
- Aslam Anis, Director, School of Population and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine
- Joseph Anthony, Associate Dean, Health Professions, Faculty of Medicine
- Robert Boushel, Director, School of Kinesiology, Faculty of Education
- Stefania Burk, Associate Dean, Academic, Faculty of Arts
- Tamara Cohen, Director, Dietetics Program, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Susan Forwell, Head, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Medicine
- Aleteia Greenwood, Associate University Librarian, Research and Scholarship, UBC Library
- Sandra Jarvis-Selinger, Associate Dean, Academic, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Cecilia Jevitt, Director, Midwifery Program, Department of Family Practice, Faculty of Medicine
- Darren Lauscher, Community Educator
- Chris Lovato, Vice-Dean, Academic, Faculty of Medicine
- Tracey Oh, Co-Director, Genetic Counselling Program, Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine
- Manuela Reekie, Associate Dean, Faculty of Health and Social Development, UBC Okanagan
- Elizabeth Saewyc, Director, School of Nursing, Faculty of Applied Science
- Jenna Scott, Co-Director, Genetic Counselling Program, Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine
- Jeff Small, Director, School of Audiology and Speech Sciences, Faculty of Medicine
- Ingrid Sochting, Clinical Director, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts
- Cindi Valensky, Special Advisor to the Dean, Government Relations, Faculty of Medicine
- Eli Whitney, Director, Doctor of Dental Medicine Degree Program, Faculty of Dentistry
- Miu Yan, Acting Director, School of Social Work, Faculty of Arts