Patient & Community Partnership for Education
400-2194 Health Sciences Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3
604 822 8002
Journal Articles, Books, Chapters & Published Reports
(*student or community co-authors)
- *Ham J, Towle A, *Shyng G. Deaf and hard of hearing awareness training: A mentor-led workshop. (2021). The Clinical Teacher 18(2):180-185.
- Kline C, *Park SE, Godolphin W, Towle A. (2020). Professional identity formation: A role for patients as mentors. Academic Medicine 95:1578–1586.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Kline C, *Lauscher D. Building and Sustaining Patient and Community Partnerships in Interprofessional Education. In: Forman D., Jones M., Thistlethwaite J. (eds) Sustainability and Interprofessional Collaboration. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham; 2020.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Kline C. (2020). Priority health concerns in BC and the training of future physicians: Report of a consultation with patients, caregivers and community representatives. Report and video available at https://meetingofexperts.org/programs-activities/priority-health-concern...
- *Adamjee L, Kline C, Godolphin W, Towle A. (2019). Patients and students co-develop a resource database. The Clinical Teacher 16: 1-6.
- Kline C, *Asadian W, Godolphin W, *Graham S, *Hewitt C, Towle A. (2018). From “academic projectitis” to partnership: community perspectives for authentic community engagement in health professional education. Engaged Scholar Journal 2018; 4 (1): 79-96.
- *Cheng PTM, Towle A. (2017). How patient educators help students to learn: an exploratory study. Medical Teacher 39(3): 308-314.
- Brault I, Vanier M-C, Dumez V, Towle A, Godolphin W, Pittenger AL, Conway J, VonBank JR, Collins L. (2016). Partnering with patients in interprofessional education in Canada and the USA: challenges and strategies. In: Forman D, Jones M, Thistlethwaite J. (Eds) Leading Research and Evaluation in Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice. Palgrave, MacMillan. Chapter 16: 329-353.
- Towle A. (2016). Where's the patient's voice in health professional education? Interface - Comunicação, Saúde, Educação 20(57): 285-288.
- Towle A, Farrell C, Gaines M, Godolphin W, *John G, Kline C, Lown B, Morris P, Symons J, Thistlethwaite J. (2016). The patient's voice in health and social care professional education: The Vancouver Statement. International Journal of Health Governance 21(1): 18-25.
- *Ng M, *Chu J. (2015). Increasing patient involvement in health professional education. Health Professional Student Journal 1(1): 1-5.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2015). Patients as teachers: Promoting their authentic and autonomous voices. Clinical Teacher 12(3): 149-154.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Kline C. (2015). The community comes to campus. Clinical Teacher 12(4): 1-7.
- Godolphin W, Kline C, Towle A. (2015). Talking with your doctor and other health professionals. Cultures West 33(1): 19.
- Ruitenburg CW, Towle A. (2015). “How to do things with words” in health professions education. Advances in Health Sciences Education 20(4): 857-872.
- Towle A, *Brown H, *Hofley C, *Kerston R, *Lyons H, *Walsh C. (2014).The expert patient as teacher: an interprofessional Health Mentors programme. Clinical Teacher 11: 301–306.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2013). Patient involvement in medical education. In Walsh K (Ed) Oxford Textbook of Medical Education. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. Chapter 27: 311-22.
- Kline CC, *Chhina GS, Godolphin WJ, Towle A. (2013). Community as teacher model: health profession students learn cultural safety from an Aboriginal community. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning 20(1): 5-17.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2013). Patients as educators: interprofessional learning for patient-centered care. Medical Teacher 35(3): 219-225.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2011). A meeting of experts: the emerging roles of non-professionals in the education of health professionals. Teaching in Higher Education 16(5): 495-504.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2011). The neglect of chronic disease self-management in medical education: involving patients as educators. Academic Medicine 86(11):1350.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2011). User involvement in medical education. In Dornan T, Mann K, Scherpbier A, Spencer J (Eds) Medical Education Theory and Practice. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. Chapter 5: 65-77.
- Spencer J, Godolphin W, Karpenko N, Towle A. (2011). Can patients be teachers? Involving patients and service users in healthcare professionals’ education. The Health Foundation, UK. pp. 1-78. https://www.health.org.uk/publications/can-patients-be-teachers/
- Towle A, Bainbridge L, Godolphin W, Katz A, Kline C, Lown B, *Madularu I, Solomon P, Thistlethwaite J. (2010). Active patient involvement in education of health professionals. Medical Education 44(1): 64-74.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Overgaard V. (2010). ‘Talk to Your Doc’ – helping adolescents make health care transitions. Evaluation and design to extend the reach. Canadian Council on Learning.
- Godolphin W. (2009). Shared decision-making. Healthcare Quarterly 12(Special Issue): e186-e190
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2009). Education and training of health care professionals. In Edwards A, Elwyn G (Eds) Shared Decision-Making in Health Care. Achieving Evidence-based Patient Choice, 2nd Edn. Oxford University Press. Chapter 53: 381-388.
- Adams S. (2009). Health File: What Did The Doctor Say? Legion Magazine May 1.
- Shah S. (2009). Writing Medicine: Narrative and literature helps community members express personal stories of chronic illness; the voice of the physician as patient and participant. International Journal of the Creative Arts in Interdisciplinary Practice October: Issue 8
- Haaf, W. (2007). Build a better bond with your doctor. Good Times 18(9) October: 22-30.
- Towle A. (2007). Involving patients in the education of health professionals. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 12(1): 1-2.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Kline C. (2007) Where’s the patient’s voice in health professional education? In Primary Health Care Transition Fund, Summary of Initiatives – Final edition, Ottawa, Health Canada, p. 100.
- *Sorial C. (2007). Division of Health Care Communication and Sto:lo Nation team up to offer cultural learning opportunities. The Long House News 14(1): 13.
- Farrell C, Towle A, Godolphin W. (2006). Where's the Patient's Voice in Health Professional Education? Vancouver, Division of Health Care Communication, University of British Columbia. ISBN 0-9782028-0-5.
- Towle, A. (2006). New initiative on patient involvement. Canadian Family Physician 52: 683.
- Towle, A. (2006). Where's the Patient's Voice in Health Professional Education? Nurse Education in Practice 6(5): 300-302.
- Towle A, Weston W. (2006). Patient's voice in health professional education. Patient Education and Counseling 63(1-2): 1-2.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, *Alexander T. (2006). Doctor-Patient communication in the Aboriginal community: development of educational programs. Patient Education and Counseling 62(3): 340-346.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, Grams G, *LaMarre A. (2006). Putting informed and shared decision making into practice. Health Expectations 9(4): 321-32.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, *Van Staalduinen S. (2006). Enhancing the relationship and improving communication between adolescents and their health care providers: a school based intervention by medical students. Patient Education and Counseling 62(2): 189-192.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, *Van Staalduinen S, Overgaard V. (2005). “Talk to Your Doc”. Helping adolescents make health care transitions. Education Canada 45(2): 29-30.
- Kline C, *Salo A, *Saunders C. (2005). Enabling prenatal clients to overcome barriers in health care communication. The Doula Spirit 2005 (May):10.
- Kline C, *Saunders, C. (2005). P.A.C.E Yourself! Talking with Your Doctor. In A Nutshell Spring 1-2: 18.
- Kline C, *Saunders C. (2004). P.A.C.E Yourself! Talking with Your Doctor. Healthy Heart Newsletter 11(4):1-4.
- Godolphin W. (2003). The role of risk communication in shared decision making: first let's get to choices. BMJ 327(7417): 692-3.
- Towle A, Godolphin W, *Manklow J, *Wiesinger H. (2003). Patient perceptions that limit a community-based intervention to promote participation. Patient Education and Counseling 50(3): 231-33.
- Godolphin W, Towle A. (2001) Informed Shared Decision Making Workshop. The College of Family Physicians of Canada MAINPRO-C Accreditation 4 credits.
- Godolphin W, Towle A, McKendry R. (2001). Evaluation of the quality of patient information to support informed shared decision-making. Health Expectations 4(4): 235-42.
- Godolphin W, Towle A, McKendry R. (2001). Challenges in family practice related to informed and shared decision-making: a survey of preceptors of medical students. CMAJ 165(4): 434-35.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (2001). Education and training of health care professionals. In Edwards A, Elwyn G (Eds) Evidence-based Patient Choice. Oxford, Oxford University Press. Chapter 15, pp 245-269.
- Towle A, Godolphin W. (1999). Framework for teaching and learning informed shared decision making. BMJ 319(7212): 766-69.
- Kent H. (1998). Emphasis on MD-patient communication to start in medical school, UBC decides. CMAJ 159(3): 266-267.