Practice Education Committee
The mandate of the Practice Education Committee (PEC) is to support the integration of practice education processes across the health and human service programs; attend to common practice education issues; build capacity for interprofessional collaborative practice; and support the development, implementation and evaluation of interprofessional learning opportunities in practice.
- The Chair of the committee will rotate throughout the committee membership. The Chair will serve for a 2-year renewable term.
- Membership will consist of faculty members and others who each health and human service program deems most responsible for practice education or their formally appointed designate.
- The committee will be supported by the Practice Education Manager and Education Program Coordinator in the Office of UBC Health.
- Meetings are scheduled monthly, or called at the discretion of the Chair, between September and June.
- Ad hoc working groups will be formed to address specific projects.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
- Meeting minutes from the Practice Education and Health Curriculum Committees will be circulated to both groups to ensure synergy.
Integrated Practice Education
- Attend to common issues and share learning for best practices in practice education.
- Align practice education processes and innovate for integration strategies across the health and human service programs.
- Enhance interoperability and the ability of health and human service programs to exchange information and to use the information to make better decisions
Interprofessional Practice Education Experiences
- Guide and contribute to the development, implementation
andevaluation of collaborative practice education experiences.
- Address challenges and barriers
forcollaborative practice education.
- Identify needs and opportunities to support preceptors/supervisors in evidence-based teaching practices.
- Align resources in support for professional development for preceptors.
- Recognize excellence in practice education and collaborative practice.
- In collaboration with
HealthCurriculum Committee, promote educational initiatives and/or collaborative practice opportunities by fostering communication between the programs and the practice education committee.
- In collaboration with
HealthCurriculum Committee, act as a catalyst for change; advocating for collaborative-patient centredcare as an important strategy in addressing emergent health care issues.
The PEC will be accountable to the UBC Health Council.
Committee Members will:
- Attend all committee meetings and functions, such as special events or send a delegate if you are unable to attend. Meetings are held from September to June.
- Be informed about the
committeesmandate, policies, and initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to committee meetings.
- Serve on working groups or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Inform others about the work of the UBC Health PEC and link to the community and stakeholders.
- Suggest possible nominees to the committee who can make significant contributions to the work of the committee.
- Keep current on developments in the practice education field.
- Follow UBC conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
- Report to the Associate Provost Health.
- Chair the Practice Education Committee monthly meetings.
- Work with committee members to establish a strategic plan for the committee that is aligned with the work of UBC Health.
- Oversee activities of the Practice Education Committee in conjunction with the Practice Education Manager.
- Sit on relevant external committees.
- Marcia Choi, Instructor and Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education, School of Audiology and Speech Sciences (Chair)
- Charlotte Beck, Liaison Librarian: Audiology and Speech Sciences, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Rehabilitation Sciences, History of Science and Medicine, Systematic Reviews
- Tina Buttar, Field Education Coordinator, School of Social Work
- Jane Buxton, Professor and Practicum Director, Master of Public Health Program, School of Population and Public Health
- Jasmine Clark, Nursing Practice Placement Coordinator, School of Nursing, Faculty of Health and Social Development, UBC Okanagan
- Jacky Coates, Field Education Coordinator, School of Social Work
- Donna Drynan, Associate Department Head and Academic Fieldwork Coordinator, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Cathy Ellis, Senior Instructor, Midwifery Program, Department of Family Practice
- Lynne Fisher, Regional Administrative Manager, UBC Years 3 & 4 Undergraduate and Royal College Speciality/BCYT Postgraduate Programs, Island Medical Program
- Paul Gill, Health and Safety Manager, Faculty of Medicine
- Erica Hirschberger, Postgraduate Manager, Postgraduate Medical Education Office, Faculty of Medicine
- Cathryn Jackson, Associate Director, Undergraduate Programs, School of Nursing
- Cecilia Jevitt, Director, Midwifery Program, Department of Family Practice
- Carrie Krekoski, Practice Education Manager, Office of UBC Health
- Kiran Kalkat, Dietetics Education Coordinator, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Diana Lin, Clinical Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry
- Tricia Murray, Manager, Experiential Education Program, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Christie Newton, Director of Continuing Professional Development and Community Partnerships, Faculty of Medicine
- Tracey Oh, Program Co-Director, Clinical Training, Department of Medical Genetics
- Melanie Pedersen, Director, Administration, Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine
- Robin Roots, Coordinator of Clinical Education, Northern and Rural Cohort, Department of Physical Therapy
- Donna Rota, Administrative Director, MD Undergraduate Program, Faculty of Medicine
- Karen Sauve, Instructor, Department of Physical Therapy
- Maire Skelly, Curriculum Manager, Faculty of Dentistry
- Angela Wagner, Education Program Coordinator, Office of UBC Health
- Misty Wasyluk, Lead, Clinical Faculty and Placement Support, Midwifery Program, Department of Family Practice
- Adrian Yee, Director of Curriculum, Undergraduate Medical Education Program, Faculty of Medicine
- Janice Yeung, Director, Office of Experiential Education, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences