Continuing Professional Development Committee
The Office of UBC Health has brought together a group of representatives from each health professional program at UBC to discuss opportunities for collaboration for specific activities in the area of continuing professional development (CPD), identify opportunities for collaboration across programs, and explore operational efficiencies. The UBC Health Continuing Professional Development Committee will work in partnership with health programs to improve health professional education by developing innovative solutions to common issues related to CPD.
- The Faculty Lead for Practice Education and CPD for UBC Health will act as the Committee Chair.
- Membership will consist of a faculty member deemed to be responsible for CPD from each of the following programs: Audiology and Speech Sciences, Counseling Psychology, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Dietetics, Genetic Counseling, Kinesiology, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Population and Public Health, Social Work, and the Woodward Library.
- Leaders of CPD units within UBC will participate on an ad hoc basis.
- The Committee will be supported by the Office of UBC Health Curriculum Manager and Project Coordinator.
- Meetings will be scheduled 3 times per year, or called at the discretion of the Chair, between September and June.
- Ad hoc working groups will be formed to address specific projects.
- Decisions will be made by consensus.
- Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually.
- Meeting minutes will be shared with the UBC Health Council.
The Continuing Professional Development Committee will be accountable to the UBC Health Council.
Committee Members will:
- Attend all Committee meetings and special events, or send a delegate if unable to attend.
- Be informed about the Committee’s mandate, policies, and initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Committee meetings.
- Serve on working groups or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Inform others about the work of the UBC Health Continuing Professional Development Committee and link to the community and stakeholders.
- Suggest possible nominees to the Committee who can make significant contributions to the work of the Committee.
- Adhere to UBC conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
The Committee Chair will:
- Report to the Associate Provost Health.
- Chair Committee meetings.
- Work with Committee members to establish a strategic plan for the Committee that is aligned with the work of the Office of UBC Health.
- Oversee activities of the Committee.
- Sit on relevant external committees.
- Christie Newton, Faculty Lead for Practice Education and Continuing Professional Development, UBC Health (Chair)
- Charlyn Black, Associate Director, School of Population and Public Health
- Kim Campbell, Instructor, Midwifery Program, Department of Family Practice
- Kristina Hiemstra, Director, Interprofessional Continuing Education, Faculty of Dentistry
- Andrea Keesey, Director, Continuing Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine
- Brenda Kiernan, Education and Development Manager, Continuing Dental Education, Faculty of Dentistry
- Jan Lowcock, Physical Therapy CPD Coordinator, Continuing Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine
- Judith Lynam, Associate Director, Strategic Planning and Professional Programs, School of Nursing
- Brenna Lynn, Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine
- Glenda MacDonald, Director, Division of Continuing Pharmacy Professional Development, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Katherine Miller, Reference Librarian, Woodward Library
- Louise Nasmith, Associate Provost Health
- Sheryl Peterson, Associate Director, Division of Continuing Pharmacy Professional Development, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Sylvia Stephens, Director, Continuing Dental Education, Faculty of Dentistry
- Caroline Voisine, Project Coordinator, Office of UBC Health
- Victoria Wood, Curriculum Manager, Office of UBC Health